Friday, February 24, 2006


V FOR VENDETTA
I just finished up a graphic novel that I was reading entitled
V FOR VENDETTA. I found it to be very enjoyable. It was a story about the loss of power in a totalitarian world. The story is set in a prediction of near-future England (or at least in the 1980's when this story was written it was considered near-future), which is now a totalitarian country. A man dressed up in a Guy Fawkes outfit (but unlike Guy Fawkes, V actually blows up the parliament buildings) fights the government for freedom of not just him but for everyone. He kills the people involved in the testing that was done on him in a concentration camp (Larkhill army camp in Wiltshire, to be more specific) during the war, this in turn labels him as a terrorist and he is given the name "Codename V". He blows up the buildings of the government and murders the main people involved in their government but he does it for a good cause. This distills anarchy in the streets which causes the people to retaliate and gives them a chance for their anger, which has been bottled up in fear, to finally be heard. While doing this he rescues a girl from being killed by police officers and shows her the state of England and how the people are robbed of their freedom. The moral dilemma comes when trying to figure out if he is right or wrong in doing these acts. The reader must also attempt to figure out if he truly wants freedom for England or if he is just after revenge for crimes done against him. This was truly an excellent and smart graphic novel and I really enjoyed reading this and I would recommend it to anybody who enjoys graphic novels and, as you were told in the introduction of the book, "It's for people who don't switch off the news". Alan Moore, who wrote this novel, truly created a masterpiece of fine literature.

I thought that I'd share a quote by Alan Moore relating to the story which describes the story really well and sets the mood for the attitude that the reader finds throughout much of the story.
"Good night England. Good night home service and v for victory.
Hello the voice of fate and v for vendetta."
-Alan Moore
North Hampton,
March 1988

England Prevails*

-Alex

* After reading the novel you would understand what this meant.

P.S.- There is a movie on the graphic novel coming out soon. It is from the Wachowski brothers who created the Matrix trilogy. It looks like a good film, plus the creator of Ain't It Cool news has said that it is excellent and that it is even better than The Matrix. I am looking forward to it seeing as it opens soon.

4 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Anders said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's one of my favourites.

Just one piece of clarification though: V doesn't dress as "jester"; it's a Guy Fawkes mask and suit (which are burned in efigy in England on Guy Fawkes Day). Guy Fawkes was a Catholic recusant in 17th century England who tried to blow up the parliament and nearly succeeded.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Yeah, I only used "jester" for lack of a better word. I've never heard of Guy Fawkes until now, thanks for the info.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Anders said...

No problem. Again, I'm glad you liked it. I hope you check out more Alan Moore.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Alex said...

I will definently read more graphic novels by Alan Moore because he is such a talented writer.

I was horrified when I read in an interview with Alan Moore that he didn't want V For Vendetta made into a film and when he was expressing dislike about the films plot. It is understandable that he wouldn't want more of his graphic novels made into films after the movies that were based on some of his other work (Constantine, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen) didn't turn out to be particularily good, but it turns out that he will alow V to be made into a movie and it looks awesome. I can't wait to see it when it comes out on the 17 of March. As far as I know I am going on the premier night with Aren and my friend Andrew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home